When logging into the Foscam control panel a black box is displayed instead of the live video feed.
You need to be running the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9 AND properly install the DVM_IPCAM2 ActiveX Control Module.
The 64-bit version will not work because it is a “level 2″ browser; Flash and ActiveX Controls are only supported in “level 1″ browsers (i.e. the 32-bit version).
Don’t worry, I will take you through the steps in the Solution section.
The following solution was tested on a computer with the following software:
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Professional
Internet Explorer Version: 9.0.8112.16421
Foscam Model: FI8918W
Device Firmware Version: 188.8.131.52
Device Embeded Web UI Version: 184.108.40.206
Make sure your camera’s firmware is updated to the latest available version
Typical Rookie Mistake:
Also make sure that you are logging into the correct login section.
For Internet Explorer users that would be the top part which is labeled ActiveX Mode (For IE Browser). If that doesn’t solve your problem continue with the following procedure.
You must be running the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.
The 32-bit version of Internet Explorer can be found in the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
I suggest you create a shortcut and use this going forward when interfacing with your camera.
- Launch Internet Explorer (32-bit) as Administrator. This is done by right clicking on the icon as selecting the run as administrator option
- Go to Internet Options->Advanced and press the Reset button
- In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box select Reset
- Once it is done clearing everything select close
- Close Internet Explorer fully
- Relaunch Internet Explorer (32-bit) again as Administrator
- Open your Foscam’s Control Panel page
- Enter your login credentials in the ActiveX Mode (For IE Browser) section and then press the corresponding Login button
- At the bottom of your screen you will see the following message: “This webpage wants to run the following add-on: ‘DVM_IPCam2 ActiveX Control Module’ from ShenZhen Foscam Intelligent Technology Co., LTd.”. Select Allow
- Once again enter your login credentials and login as you did above
- You will then see a dialog box that says Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer? Program Name: DVM_IPCam2 ActiveX Control Module. Select Yes
- Refresh your browser and then re-login. You should now be able to see your live video feed!
Note: Once you have it working you should not have to launch Internet Explorer as administrator anymore for it to work.